dvips options

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Sep 1 16:10:50 UTC 2005

To go from latex to pdf I use dvips and the adobe online encoding.
I can't use pdflatex or PDFTex because my documents use gnuplot
generated tex files that contain postscript (this allows me to have
LaTeX render the text part of the graphs, and makes it easier to adjust
the axis labeling, which on 3D plots sometimes conflict with the axis
and need to be moved, depending upon the view perspective).

I go from ps to pdf via Adobe online encoding because sometimes
ghostscript (ps2pdf) messes up, and you often can't tell until you have
printed it - but sometimes its really obvious (like putting letters on
top of each other). Distiller (online encoding) gets it right.

I have a prosper class latex document (PDF slide show). It needs to be
A4 landscape.
It also must be done dvi -> pd -> pdf because prosper uses pstricks

When I use dvips -Ppdf

I get a landscape but it is letter, right side of slides chopped.

If I use dvips -Ppdf -t a4

It does get done a4 by online - but portrait, so I have to rotate it to
properly view it.

If I use dvips -Ppdf -t a4 -t landscape

I still get portrait A4

-=-
Does anyone know either

a) A proper option sequence to give to dvips to get A4 landscape out of
Adobe online encoding

b) A proper way to modify the output of dvips (the postscript file) to
make sure it really is landscape a4

c) A way to modify an existing PDF file so that it is landscape by
default

Either one of those (a would obviously be best) would solve my problem.

Thanks for suggestions.