I'm in YUM up2date hell

bbales bbales at cox.net
Thu Sep 1 17:58:55 UTC 2005

I thought yum had eliminated the old "dependency hell" we used to fight our
way through.  Now I am in the new hell.

I installed FC3 and it came with kernel 2.6.9-1.667.  I used it a few weeks
and then ran up2date.  I was rewarded with kernel 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3, which
refused to provide sound with my Intel i82801 sound chip.  I can go back
to the 2.6.9 kernel and sound works very well, but I can't seem to solve
the sound problem with the 2.6.12 kernel.

Up2date shows a kernel 2.6.12-1.1376 is available, but won't install it.  I
get the following messages:
Test install failed because of package conflicts:
The following packages were added to satisfy dependencies
selinux-policy-targeted  1.17.30-3.16 is already installed
(Which doesn't explain why it won't install anything else.)

yum update ends up with the following:
kernel conflicts with selinux-policy-targeted < 1.17.30-3.16

yum install selinux-policy-targeted gives:
nothing to do

yum update selinux-policy-targeted gives:
Could not find update match for selinux-policy-targeted

Is there some way out of this?

bruce