Share internet connection/make a small server

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 19:10:20 UTC 2005

--- Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 04:53 -0700, Antonio Olivares
> wrote:
> >
> > --- Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 17:16 -0700, Antonio
> Olivares

> > > Olivares

> <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>
> > > > > >

> > *nat
> > :PREROUTING ACCEPT [759:76421]
> > :POSTROUTING ACCEPT [4:288]
> > :OUTPUT ACCEPT [394:23805]
> > -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
> > -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> > -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
> > -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> > -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
> > -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
> > COMMIT
> > # Completed on Wed Aug 31 07:52:24 2005
> > [root at rio ~]# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> > 1
> > [root at rio ~]#
> >
> > Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  It will
> > work.  It is just a matter of finding where things
> are
> > stopping.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Antonio
> >

> Attached is a basic script for a firewall/router
> like you are using.
>
> Simply put it somewhere on the linux box, make it
> executable, then as
> root run it.
>
> After running this script, rerun "service iptables
> save" to save the
> rules so they load automatically when you reboot.
>
> It should load all the rules you need for a dynamic
> external address on
> eth0, a fixed internal address on eth1,  and DNS on
> the external
> network.
>
> To test that it works, simply retry (from the
> windows box) the ping
> commands I gave earlier, and even try a ping to
> www.yahoo.com.
> If they all work then you should be all set.
>
> This was generated using fwbuilder which is readily
> available on the net
> from  www.fwbuilder.org or on sourceforge.
>
> HTH
> Jeff

Now, I cannot access the local network and the
internet from the machine.  The eth0 device was
assigned an IP according to its MAC address and now it
does not work, it says that it is active.  When I shut
down the machine it gave me some weird message which I
do not know how to get since I am sending this email
from the other machine which has internet access in my
classroom.
Is there a way to solve this issue?

TIA

Antonio