Login screen not showing up

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Sep 1 22:27:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 05:09:10PM +0800, Michael Lai wrote:
> gb spam wrote:
>
> >On 9/1/05, Michael Lai <ml at michael.lai.name> wrote:
> >

> >>Not sure what I have done but I installed Fedora 4 several weeks ago
> >>and
> >>everything was fine.  However, a couple of weeks ago I suddenly can't
> >>see my login screen anymore.  I can see my system booting up and I can
> >>see the show/hide details screen and then I get a blank screen when all
> >>the services are started.  I don't know where to begin to analyze this
> >>problem.  Right now, I am relying on ssh to remotely login to my
> >>server.  Thanks for any possible help.
> >>

> >sounds like your X config could be borked, try running
> >system-config-display and then restart your X server
> >
> Does system-config-display work through a ssh session?  I just tried it
> but nothing happens and I had to do a Ctrl-C to kill it.
Boot into init level 3 either by:
1. Hitting ctrl-alt-f1 at the console. Login as root and the run
init 3. May hang and you will have to hit ctl-alt-f2 and the
ctl-alt-f1 again. Then I think system-config-display will run. If
not you can execute startx and see what errors you get that will
allow you to change your xorg.conf file. Probably changing the
default resolution at the bottom of the file will do the trick.

2. Get to init level 3 by hitting a at the detail grub screen and
ass a 3 to the line you want to use to boot. When in init 3 proceed
as above.

I have never understood this liking for war.  It panders to instincts
already catered for within the scope of any respectable domestic establishment.
		-- Alan Bennett
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University