synaptics driver not loaded

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 22:28:17 UTC 2005

--- Johan Lozano <johan.lozano at tiscali.be> wrote:

> [...]
> Saltzman wrote:
> > [...]
> > >

> > > Thanks for the info..
> > >
> > > Here's what I find now.
> > > If I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log after a fresh
> re-boot I see the following in
> > > relation to the synaptics driver:
> > >
> > > The driver gets loaded:
> > >
> > > (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
> > > (II) Loading
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o
> > > (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> > >        compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version =
> 1.0.0
> > >        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> > >        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version
> 0.4
> > >
> > > Then the  driver fails to find a valid device??
> > >
> > > (**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> > > (**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
> > > (**) Mouse0: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
> > > (**) Option "CorePointer"
> > > (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
> > > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > > (**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> > > (**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout:
> 50
> > > (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > > (**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> > > (**) Mouse0: Buttons: 5
> > > (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.5
> > > Synaptics no synaptics event device found
> (checked 5 nodes)
> > > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > > (**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
> > > Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
> > > (EE) Synaptics no synaptics touchpad detected
> and no repeater device
> > > (EE) Synaptics Unable to query/initialize
> Synaptics hardware.
> > > (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics"
> > > (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> > > (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
> > > (**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
> > >

> > > I've run the hardware browser and the system
> shows both the internal mouse
> > > (the touchpad) and the external usb mouse as
> /dev/input/mice
> > >
> > > Any ideas???
> >
> > Not really.  For me, it's always Just Worked(tm)
> on my Thinkpad with FC4.
> > Check /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages and
> make sure the kernel finds
> > the Synaptics device.  If it doesn't, then the
> xorg driver probably won't
> > either.
> >
> > My synaptics driver is synaptics-0.14.0-2, which
> ships with FC4.  I think
> > you ought to be able to rebuild it and use it with
> FC3.  It may detect
> > more devices.
> >
> > Another post suggested reconfiguring your X with
> no external mouse.
> >

> i realise now that i am on the road and  have not
> always place for a
> mouse that i have the same problem as you have. did
> you solved yours and
> if so what did you do? i followed this thread and
> tried out all the
> suggestions w/o success. i can tell that maybe 1 of
> the 10 times my
> touchpad works but most of the time it's dead.

Looks similar to a message I used to get on my hp
z5000 laptop. Here's what I did...

> echo -n "reconnect" >
/sys/bus/serio/devices/serio3/drvctl

this comes from a linuxr3000 laptop list, so I don't
understand why, but it got synaptics to see the
touchpad. then I needed to get scroll working. i took
the extra step if allow usb mouse and touchpad
w/scroll simultaneiously:

[change config similar to:]
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23667&highlight=touchpad+usb+mouse

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0

	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "TouchPad" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "Buttons" "7"

	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
#	Option	"Protocol" "ImPS/2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver  	"synaptics"
  Identifier  	"TouchPad"

  Option	"Device"  		"/dev/psaux"
  Option	"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
#  Option	"Protocol"		"alps"
#  Option	"Device"  		"/dev/input/event0"

#  Option	"Protocol"		"event"
  Option	"LeftEdge"		"120"
  Option	"RightEdge"		"830"
  Option	"TopEdge"		"120"