Share internet connection/make a small server

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 22:03:15 UTC 2005

--- Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:

> # service iptables stop
> # cd /etc/sysconfig
> # mv iptables iptables.save

[olivares at rio ~]$ su -
Password:
[root at rio ~]# service iptables stop
Flushing firewall rules:
    [  OK  ]
Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: mangle filter nat
    [  OK  ]
Unloading iptables modules:
    [  OK  ]
[root at rio ~]# cd /etc/sysconfig/
[root at rio sysconfig]# mv iptables iptables.save
mv: overwrite `iptables.save'? n
[root at rio sysconfig]# mv iptables iptables.save2
[root at rio sysconfig]# mv iptables.save iptables
[root at rio sysconfig]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags
Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U
0      0        0 eth1
10.154.19.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U
0      0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U
0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         10.154.19.1     0.0.0.0         UG
0      0        0 eth0
[root at rio sysconfig]# service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:
    [  OK  ]
Shutting down interface eth1:
    [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:
    [  OK  ]
Disabling IPv4 packet forwarding:
    [  OK  ]
Setting network parameters:
    [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:
    [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:
    [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth1:
    [  OK  ]
[root at rio sysconfig]#

> Then try rebuilding the firewall manually.

I do not know how to do this, but I will read up on
the page for fwbuilder.  The network is up again
because I moved the older iptables.save into iptables
and it is up.

I even switched the cables from the machine to see if
it would work and it failed.

Will report back.  Thanks Jeff you have been very
helpful.

Best Regards,

Antonio