system-config-display won't accept root password at boot

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Sep 2 13:16:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 23:29 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> FC4-i386, latest updates.
>
> When I upgrade my kernel and reboot, the system attempts to run
> system-config-display during startup, and this prompts for the root
> password. I type that in but it's apparently not recognized, as I just get
> another prompt. After 3 failures, the system boots normally. I think this
> happening during the udev initialization.
>
> I'm using the latest nVidia driver for my 6800GT.

Did you recompile the nvidia driver after the kernel update and before
trying to boot back to graphics mode?

With the last kernel update mine wanted to run system-config-display and
that reminded me to do the driver update as well. (I forced it to fail
out to text mode and did the driver update before I went back to
graphics mode.)