batch convert mp3 to ogg

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 19:00:14 UTC 2005

On 9/2/05, Robert Bell <robert at thebellfamily.com> wrote:

> > http://freshmeat.net/projects/mp32ogg/
> > after a quick search on my friend, Google. :)
>

> I saw that too but its kind of old and it doesn't recurse. I suppose
> I'll just spend the time to re-rip. Grip is good for this or is there
> something better?

I wrote a perl script to do this that uses lame and oggdec.  It relies
on the music directory being in the format
artist/album/trackno-trackname and puts all the music into a flat
directory with names like artist-album-trackno-trackname, but it could
be modified to recreate the directory structure pretty easily.

I take no responsibility for anything this code does or doesn't do or
assumptions I made based on my setup/preference.  The code is fairly
crappy.  There's no documentation.  But it might set you on the path.

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves