No Sound with kernel upgrade

bbales bbales at cox.net
Fri Sep 2 22:24:22 UTC 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 16:26, taharka wrote:
> bbales wrote:
> >I am using FC3 and kernel 2.6.12-1.1376 and an Intel i82801 sound chip
> > and I can't get sound working.  Everything looks like it is working,
> > but no sound.
> >
> >xmms gives notice:
> >	Please check that your soundcard is configured properly
> >	You have the correct output plugin.
> >	No other program is blocking the sound card.
> >and then shows the xmms window with a very active audio band display.
> >
> >How does one configure a sound card?
> >
> >play <song.wav> gives
> >	sox: can't open output file '/dev/dsp': device or resource busy
> >
> >This can't hardly be true.  This was the first thing I did after boot.
> >
> >I've looked at alsamixer, aumixer and amixer to be sure none is muted.
> >
> >Since sound played before I updated from the 2.6.9 kernel, and it still
> >works with knoppix, I'm sure the hardware is OK.
> >
> >kudzu and /etc/sysconfig/hwconf indicate that the hardware has been
> >recognized and a driver  (snd-intel8x0) assigned.
> >
> >We no longer have sndconfig, although I don't know that it would help
> > here.
> >
> >Any suggestions would be appreciated,
> >bruce
>
> I have that problem with every kernel upgrade :-(
>
> 1.) Boot into the previous kernel ( the one with the sound card
> working).
>
> 2.) Su to root.
>
> 3.) Copy /etc/modprobe.conf to another directory/floppy disc.
>
> 4.) Reboot with the new kernel.
>
> 5.) Su to root & copy the modprobe.conf copy you made over the top of
> /etc/modprobe.conf.
>
> 6.) Reboot once again using the new kernel & you should be good to go
> :-)
>
> taharka

Thanks taharka, but it didn't work.  I did it as you said, except I also
copied the newer modprobe.conf  to modprobe.conf.was and then after it
didn't work I compared the two.  No difference.

There is, however, considerable difference between the lsmods from the two
installations.  In fact, there is so much difference I am amazed.  just a
short sample of the two lsmods.

Lsmod from 1376 kernel
Module                  Size  Used by
i915                   18753  1
drm                    68949  2 i915
md5                     4033  1
ipv6                  263105  10
parport_pc             28293  1
lp                     12873  0

lsmod from 667 kernel
Module                  Size  Used by
i915                   76869  2
md5                     4033  1
ipv6                  232577  10
parport_pc             24705  1
lp                     11565  0
parport                41737  2 parport_pc,lp