system-config-display won't accept root password at boot

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Sep 2 22:57:10 UTC 2005

--On Friday, September 02, 2005 9:27 AM -0500 akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> system-config-display should not be running at boot. If you have
> nvidia drivers in use you should uninstall the drivers under the old
> kernel . Then boot the new kernel to init 3 and the re-install the
> drivers.

Why is that necessary? Shouldn't the driver be installed for any kernel I
might choose to boot?

It's likely, though, that I forgot to rebuild the driver for the new
kernel. But that shouldn't block the boot. That should just stop X from
in, so I had to wait until I could free up a head (keyboard & monitor) so I
could see why it was failing to boot.