CD/DVD mounted read only so I can't write

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Sep 3 08:01:42 UTC 2005

Tony Foster enlightened us with the following gems on 09/03/2005 02:53 AM:

> I have been experimenting with FC3 and will be moving to FC4 soon after
> I get the backup to work.
>
> It appears that when the CD creator mounts the CD it mounts it read only
> so that the write fails.
how are you doing this?
CDs that you are burning are *not* supposed to be mounted while you burn
them.
are you burning multi-session CDs?
which tools are you using for the job?
what error messages are you getting?

> should I just change /etc/fstab and do my backups and ignore this?
no. Leave /etc/fstab alone.
CDs (once you've burned them) are read-only media (unless you do some
messing around to allow packet-writing)

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE RHCX
printk("Penguin %d is stuck in the bottle.\n", i);