Alternative to gdmflexiserver for KDE

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 10:18:51 UTC 2005

On 9/3/05, Mostafa Z. Afgani <mostafa.afgani at world.iu-bremen.de> wrote:
> > Under KDE, gdmflexiserver does not work. Is there some alternative to
> > work on KDE?
>
> As you can see (http://pandora.iu-bremen.de/~mafgani/Screenshot.png), it
> works for me. The screenshot shows a nested gdmflexiserver (GNOME)
> started from KDE that was started as a nested gdmflexiserver from the
> root display (GNOME).

Thanks, Thomas and Mostafa. It does not work in my case, as I have the
following /etc/sysconfig/desktop file, which is not the default one:

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

There is a workaround to have, even so, two X sessions running simultaneously:

1. crtl+alt+f1

2. login into the desired account;

3. startx -- :8

One can switch between the two X sessions with crtl+alt+f7 and crtl+alt+f8.

I think it would be worthy to implement a more straightforward way of
achieving this for people like me who have the above
/etc/sysconfig/desktop, likewise Mandriva has done (and Suse as well,
I think).

Paul