slow evince and remote X

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 16:54:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 21:50, Norman Gaywood wrote:

> There are many different types of remote displays. We have over 100 of
> them. There may be all sorts of options set. As far as I can tell, none of
> them perform displaying postscript/pdf files from a remote system. Only
> raw gs seems to do any good but then you don't have scaling/paging
> and other useful viewing tools. Those displays that are not strictly
> XTerminals but are workstations or laptops all display locally with no
> problem. It's only remote displaying that is the problem.

This probably has to do with the size of each operation - hence the
total bandwidth needed.  Does anyone know where the font scaling
happens or if there are any tricks to make less work for the display?

> > > evince, and other postscript/pdf display programs are extremely slow
> > > over remote X displays. This is on a 10M/bit switched network.

10M isn't much to work with.  Would it be practical to run NX or even
VNC on the remote side - or local apps that only need to access the
file remotely?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com