Time flies?

Charles Sardeson csardeson at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 5 04:10:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've seen various questions posted concerning timekeeping on the MSI MS-7093 Socket 939 motherboard, but never an answer.  If I boot the machine to PC DOS 6.2, "time" produces a current time that remains  correct after a few hours, but running FC4, the time displayed by GNOME runs at about twice real time.  Based upon one (accidental) test, it appears that the FC4/GNOME combination causes the hardware clock to run backward (lose time), if I reboot to DOS.

IIRC I've seen this complaint from both WinXP and Linux users.  Since the time remains correct while DOS runs, it seems pretty clear to me that this is a communication problem between the hardware and the system clock, but after reading some of the related man pages, I'm still lost.

I can't run hwclock as myself or as su from a bash console.  Mebbe it's not part of the default installation?  I'm very new to Linux.

I tried (perhaps incorrectly) to search the list's archives for this problem, and got no hits.

Has anyone had, or better, solved, this one?

Thanks,

Chuck