postfix smarthost to relay in same domain

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Mon Sep 5 11:50:56 UTC 2005

>> if you mean, your old mailserver should forward outgoing mails to the
>> new
>> server see here:
>>
>> http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
>>
>> see section  "What delivery method: direct or indirect"
>>
>> hth
>> Roger
>
> Thanks Roger,
>
> relayhost is properly configured and relaying works except as i
> desired. limme explain further:
>
> domino server users:
> john at mydomain.com
> peter at mydomain.com
>
> postfix server users:
> jane at mydomain.com
> laine at mydomain.com
>
> i have no issue in my domino server as anything not local user to the
> domino server it is forwarded to my postfix server.
>
> the problem now occurs in postfix.
> if i put mydestination and relayhost as:
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
> relayhost = [mail.mydomain.com]
>
> i'm not able to send to john at mydomain.com
>
> if i set mydestination and relayhost as:
> mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost
> relayhost = [mail.mydomain.com]
>
> i'm able to send to john at mydomain.com but not able to receive email
> within any users in postfix server.
>
> in exim as i'm little bit familiar, you can set a transport smarthost
> and you can set to check first any local users in the local server and
> if it is not available it will be forwarded to the relayhost
> (smarthost).
>
> how to achive same thing in postfix?
>
> str
Do i see this right?

a) you use for outgoing traffic domino and postfix-server, if using
postfix-server then forwardig mails to domino-server which sends the mails
out to internet?

b) for incomming traffic, you first take your domino-server, if the
e-mail-adress is not on that local machine, it is forwarded to the
postfix-server?

c) mail.domain.com is your domino-server?

question: what did you enter in $mydomain?

Roger