Strange update error message and system will not update

Charles Layno clayno at w4cl.net
Mon Sep 5 16:54:49 UTC 2005

I have 3 FC2 machines and recently did an apt-get update on them. All seemed
to go well. Today I tried to do another update and I now get the following
update message on all three machines. One is a Dell server, and the other two
are workstations.

rpmdb: Program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version
error: db4 error(-30974) from dbenv->open: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH: Database
environment version mismatch
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30974)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
E: could not open RPM database

This looks really bad. Is it as bad as it looks and is there a way to recover
from this without having to reinstall the whole system?

Charles Layno
Greensboro, NC