Print jobs not printing thru cups

Michael Lai ml at michael.lai.name
Tue Sep 6 09:20:26 UTC 2005

Tim Waugh wrote:

>system-config-printer-0.6.131.3-1 is the one that understands HPLIP.
>If 'rpm -q system-config-printer' says you already have that, you
>don't need to upgrade it.
>
>Tim.
>*/

OK, I got the LaserJet1300 printing but this is one of those problems
where I solved it but I don't know what I did right.

I installed the hplip rpm from Tim's link.  At first, that didn't fix
the problem.  What I noticed though was that in folder,
/var/spool/samba, there would be an empty smbprn file whenever I tried
to print.  I figured that the problem was with samba and I tried various
configs but to no avail.

Finally, in frustration, I deleted the LaserJet1300 printer from cups
using system-config-printer and then rebooted the server.  When I viewed
system-config-printer again (after bootup), I noticed that in the "Queue
type" tab there is a new entry:

hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1300?device=/dev/usb/lp0

I added a new printer by the name of "LJ1300" (please note the name as
it is important as explained later) with the queue type pointing to
above instead of the usual /dev/usb/lp0.  I tried printing a simple
document from Notepad and voila! it printed.  Just for fun, I renamed
LJ1300 back to LaserJet1300 without touching the queue type and now it
won't print again with the same symptom of creating an empty smbprn file.

So, I renamed it back to LJ1300 and it worked again.  It seemed odd to
me since I didn't think the name of the printer would actually affect
the printing.  Still, I accepted this fact but now I discovered a new
problem with the printer.

I can print simple document from Notepad but when I try to print a
MSWord document with Japanese or Chinese text, my printer would hang.
On the LaserJet1300, there is a green and orange light.  Usually, only
the green light stays on which indicates everything is fine and is in
ready mode.  Orange light is reserved for printing errors like paper
jams.  When I tried to print a doc with chinese/japanese text in it, the
green light would flash (which indicates that the printer is processing
a print job) and then suddenly it turned orange and the doc would not print.

I don't know if this is due to the fact that I am using a test version
of hplib or if it is another setup problem with my printer.  If it is
former then should I instead use the hplip from SourceForge?  Will that
hplib support asian text?  Personally, I would prefer to use the rpm
package since I can just use up2date on it.  When will the production
rpm version of hplip come out?

Thanks,
Michael.