(still) update conflict between kdelibs and kde-i18n-Polish

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 6 12:39:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Paul Howarth wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i'm still having a problem updating a very recently installed FC4
> > system due to a number of alleged file conflicts between the following
> > two packages:
> >
> > 	kdelibs-3.4.2-0.fc4.1
> > 	kde-i18n-Polish-3.4.2-0.fc4.1
> >
> > "yum list updates" tells me that these two package would both come
> > from FC's "updates-released" repo, which makes perfect sense.  but
> > they clash based on a number of files in /usr/share/doc.
> >
> > what's odd is that my long-running (and constantly-updated) FC4
> > production system has both of those packages installed so, clearly,
> > they must have been updated without problem at some point on this
> > system.
> >
> > on the other hand, this new system was installed so recently that it
> > has 469 packages that are listed as being updatable.  why the conflict
> > on the new system and not the old one?  thoughts?
>
> Please post the output of:
>
> $ rpm -q --qf '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n' kdelibs
> kde-i18n-Polish

currently, on the system with the update issues:

kdelibs-3.4.0-6.i386
kde-i18n-Polish-3.4.0-1.noarch

which appear to be the original versions from the initial install.

on my production system (and the versions that the update is trying to
update to):

kdelibs-3.4.2-0.fc4.1.i386
kde-i18n-Polish-3.4.2-0.fc4.1.noarch

> Do you actually need the Polish translations for kde?

obviously not, and i realize that i can undoubtedly delete that
package to solve the problem, but i'm more curious about why it's
causing the problem in the first place.

on a somewhat-related point, this is not the first time i've had a
problem updating an FC4 system that was installed some time after the
official release.

obviously, if you update on a regular basis, you probably won't have
many issues.  on the other hand, if you update long after the official
release, you're probably looking at literally hundreds of packages to
be updated.  and it's *there* that i've occasionally had problems,
just like is happening now.

like i said, i can easily delete the "Polish" package but that would
delete the evidence of the problem. :-)

rday