Some icons are gone after upgrade to FC4

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Sep 6 13:30:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 09:23:59AM +0200, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
> I upgraded one of my computers (from FC3 to FC4, but it went from RH8
> though RH9, FC1,FC2).
> Now I have lost the following items (that are replaced by a icon
> representing a sheet of paper)
>
> On the desktop:
>
> computer
> trash
> myHome
> Link to the old desktop
> Qcad
>
> I have  not the corerct icon (replaced by a squared x) in the menu for:
> Resources
> Desktop
>
> Furthermore if I open the computer window I have all resources (floppy,
> CD, Filesystem, Network shown as papersheet icon)
> Same if I open any Nautilus window, only papersheet icon are shown (also
> for directories)
>
> How do I recover my icons??

Sounds like you have to change your desktop from FC3 to FC4 form. Try
going to init level 3 login to your account and remove the files
indicated by this line:
gnome_files="$HOME/.gconf $HOME/.gconfd $HOME/.gnome $HOME/.gstreamer
$HOME/.gnome2* $HOME/.ICEauthority $HOME/.metacity $HOME/.nautilus
$HOME/.gtkrc*

I am sorry the form is bad but I think you can get the idea, Then
restart init level 5 and login again. I think you icons will be
magically back in the right  place. This need to be done in every
gnome directory that you want to look right.

At least it is worth  a try.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University