OT - Any Backup software for LINUX that will backup windows client & Server?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 19:34:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 12:27, Jack Taffar wrote:
> 	We currently use ArcServ.  I would like to know if there is a backup
> solution that will run on Linux and that will backup not only unix boxes
> but Window client and server boxes.  ArcServ is backing up weekly around
> 200 GB and takes around 6 hours to complete.  The nightly tape is
> smaller and runs quicker.  The backup media is a DLT-200GB tape.
>
> 	Any help is appreciated !

I like backuppc: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ for online (disk)
backups.  It has an option to manually archive copies off to tape
but it uses compression and linking scheme to hold 8 to 10 times
what you'd expect in a disk archive.  It can use either smbtar
or rsync for windows clients, neither of which will save ACLs
or get open files.  It can optionally run an ssh command before
and after the backup run for things like dumping copies of
sql data to a file you can copy.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com