can yum remove old packages?

Philip Moller phmo at punkt.se
Wed Sep 7 00:17:01 UTC 2005

Philip Moller wrote:

> sean wrote:
>
>> Rex Dieter wrote:

>>> I know of no easy automatic way to do it, other than manually.  In
>>> this case,
>>> rpm -e libidn-devel-0.5.6-1
>>>
>>> -- Rex
>>>

>> That may be a life's work. It was in the middle of a fc3->fc4
>> upgrade. Over 300 packages updated.
>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> sean
>>
> well, try (as root) :
> # yum clean all

# man yum

CLEAN OPTIONS
       The following are the ways which you can invoke yum in clean mode.

       yum clean packages
              Eliminate  any cached packages from the system.  Note that
packages are
              not automatically deleted after they are downloaded.

       yum clean headers
              Eliminate all of the files which  yum  uses  to
determine  the  remote
              availability  of packages. Using this option will force
yum to download
              all the headers the next time it is run.

       yum clean all
              Runs yum clean packages and yum clean headers as above.