different SSH/keychain behavior on Fedora Core 4?

Cameron Mura cmura at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 7 01:31:42 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone's seen different SSH and keychain behavior on
Fedora Core 4 versus its predecessors (FC3, in particular) ? ("keychain"
is the Gentoo ssh-agent wrapper... allows a user to make a single
passphrase entry per machine reboot, not per login.)

The reason I'm asking is that I used to be able to set-up keychain and
have it run smoothly (i.e., password-less and passphrase-less logins)
from my FC3 machine at home to various boxes at work (running CentOS,
FC3, RH9, etc.)... To streamline things, I have buttons configured on
the KDE console bar of my home desktop such that they're mapped to
commands like "ssh -Y -l me where.ever.com <http://where.ever.com>"
("Run in terminal" option checked, of course)... so I would basically
have 1-click solutions to drop me into shells on various work machines.
But since upgrading the home machine to FC4 this trick no longer works
and the terminal which is opened up on the remote machine still asks me
for the passphrase for the local RSA private key... interestingly, I'm
not prompted for a passphrase if I manually "ssh -Y -l me where.ever.com
<http://where.ever.com>" from a terminal on my home machine to the
remote work machine...

I realize that this may be more of an SSH question than an actual Fedora
issue, but still I'm wondering if anyone's seen any similar behavior,
are aware of any changes in default SSH behavior/configuration between
FC3 and FC4, or otherwise have any clue about this behavior?

Thanks for any advice!,
Cameron