installing on USB hard disk

Amichai Rotman poder.pinguino at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:41:17 UTC 2005

Don't you have a DOSTOOLS dir on the first FC4 CD?
I don't have it here, but I remember it is quite standard to have a dir with
tools and images to create bootCD's and floppies.
 I would also try creating the BootCD using a LiveCD distro like Knoppix.
 Good luck!

 On 9/7/05, Antonio Montagnani <anto.montagnani at virgilio.it> wrote:

> Jon Drukman said the following on 07/09/2005 07:17:
> > Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> >
> >> I've done this ages ago, so pardon if this is no more applicable. Try
> >> setting on the kernel boot line : expert.
> >> I think this was what made it also probe usb drives.
> >

> > that worked - it allowed me to install the OS onto the external USB
> > drive. however, i can't boot it. when i boot my system i get the
> > normal windows boot menu.
> >
> > my bios doesn't recognize the usb disk at all so somehow i have to get a
> > bootable cdrom with usb storage support that i can use to load linux
> > from the external disk. i tried following the instructions at
> >

> > http://www.vigla.eclipse.co.uk/
> >
> > but it presumes you can actually get into a linux system to build the
> > bootable cd, which i can't.
> >
> > is there any way to load linux from windows, or does someone have a
> > pre-made boot cd with usb storage support?
> >
> > -jsd-
> >
> The first step is to burn the Iso Grub bootable CD..I hope that you have
> an ISO-capable program in Windows.
> Then you insert the CD and boot from it.You will get the Grub window and
> you have to follow instructions to create an usb ready initrd.
> When you have created it, you can reboot, insert kernel and initrd lines
> manually....(maybe that standard initrd would work, try..)
> Next you need a boot CD creation script, that is in ja's page...
>
> Hope it helps
>
> --
> Antonio
> Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.6 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.6

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746

PLEASE READ: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html