converting NTFS drive

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 8 18:33:55 UTC 2005

Peter Gordon wrote:
> BB Cao, you can read NTFS from within Linux just fine. You'll need to
> install the kernel driver as mentioned in the FAQ[1].

With all due respect, this has not been my experience. I've found
that file names may be changed when reading from an NTFS formatted
partition. I do not mean the well-known problem with the fact that
NT (and all its kin) are case-independent but case-preserving. I mean
non-ASCII characters being inserted into the file names. Characters
with values like 0xC1 and 0xE1 which NT does not show in the same
file entries, but which Linux insists are there.

> It's only if you want to be able to write to the partition's filesystem
> from within Linux that you'll need to convert it to another filesystem
> that both Linux and Windows can easily use. As far as I know, FAT32
> (vfat) is the only filesystem with full read/write support across both
> Windows and Linux. :-/

Linux also recognizes (at least) FAT12. I don't know about FAT16.

> [1] http://www.fedorafaq.org/#ntfs

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.