Experienced package builders: please test my first RPM

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Sep 8 18:34:37 UTC 2005

At 8:17 AM +0100 9/8/05, Paul Howarth wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 14:00 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> OK, I've made and published a key and put signed packages and the key up,
>> with the spec file changes you suggested
>
>Got your key from the server OK.
>
>>  (except for including the GPL --
>> that seems overkill, as the man package itself doesn't seem to include it).
>
>Yet you still say in your copyright notice:
>
># You may distribute under the terms of the GNU General Public
># License as specified in the README file that comes with the man
># distribution.
>
>Since neither the README nor the text of the GPL are actually included
>in the Fedora "man" package, I would again advocate including the text
>of the GPL in your tarball

Hmm, I copied that from the original text (still shown below), but you are
right, there is no README or COPYING or LICENSE with the man package.  I
will include a COPYING doc.

>(and also get rid of the editor backup file in there).

Gah.  OK, will do.

>> I've also run rpmlint on the package (it complains about the 2 sourced
>> scripts, but what can one do).  Could you please take one more look, and
>> see if I've done this right?
>
>If you really want to shut rpmlint up, you can add shellbangs to the top
>of the script files:
>
>cat >apropos2.sh <<EOF
>#!/bin/bash
>I wouldn't worry about it though.

I'm not worried, but that trick might be useful in the future.

>One other minor cosmetic issue. I see you use 4-space tab stops in your
>editor. Since I use 8-space tab stops, the tab-aligned tags at the top
>of the spec file aren't all aligned in my editor. Replacing the tabs
>with spaces would fix that if you were striving for aesthetic
>perfection :-)

OK.  As I learn Python, I am becoming more amenable to using spaces instead
of TABs.