LVM Suggestions

Evan evan.moseman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 02:02:38 UTC 2005

On 9/6/05, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/6/05, Mark Sargent <powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > am wondering, how best to manage a 40GB drive with LVM. System has 192MB
> > of RAM. At present, I see Hard Drives /dev/hda Free equalling 32254.
> > This' my 1st time to do things manually(only way to learn). I have a
> > basic understanding of LVM, but was wondering how others set their
> > systems up. What's the minimum PV for the swap and boot volumes.? Should
> > I break the drive up into smaller, easier managed volumes.? Cheers.
>

> I'm not going to be the best person to answer your question ultimately,
> but I know that the answer will depend upon what the machine is meant to do.
> Is this a desktop/web server/file server/etc?
>
> For what it's worth, I think swap should equal RAM, and boot should be
> about 100Mb. For the rest, I just guess.
>

> --
>
> I setup my workstations typically as follows;

/boot 100MB
/ 1GB
/usr 2GB
/var 2GB
/var/spool/mail 300MB
swap equal to RAM (192MB in your case)
/home 2GB
/data 5-10GB

And leave whatever is remaining free in case I ever need to expand a
partition for whatever reason. The /data partition is where I store rpms,
packages, source tar-balls, project data, anything really. It is the
location of the data the comprises the purpose of the workstation, if that
makes any sense.

The /var/spool/mail partition is seperate in case something bad happens with
mail delivery to my workstation. If that partition fills up it won't hinder
anything else on the host, but incoming mail.

As a side note I have found that seperating partitions gives me a very easy
upgrade path with fedora. When installing the next version I setup the
partitions exactly as they were before, but I opt to not format /data or
/home and everything that I care about doesn't get touched. And, so far, all
of my personal config files have migrated from one version of Fedora to the
next...

Hope this helps!

Evan