Two display anomalies (one still open)

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 9 11:51:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 05:59 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 20:16 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >> If you are following this thread, there are updates on both issues below.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your suggestions so far.  Keep 'em coming!

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Haven't tested yet, but I did find out that the vert. refresh rate in XP
> >> is 60Hz.  It appears from the logs to also be 60Hz in X, but I changed
> >> xorg.conf anyway.  That does not appear to affect the problem on my
> >> externa monitor.  I will check the projector with a brand new cable
> >> tomorrow.
>
> Capping the vert refresh rate at 60Hz in xorg.conf had no effect.  In
> fact, it looks like 60Hz was the rate even before that change.
>
> Brand new, high quality video cable had no effect.
>
> Still stuck.  Audience still dizzy.
>

> >> Forgot to note that the problem occurs in a virtual console as well as in
> >> X.
> >>

> > Matthew,
> >
> > The virtual terminal here is 720x400, 31.4 Khz horiz. and 70 Hz vert.  I
> > would have expected 640x480 @ 60Hz.  Try lowering the resolution in X.
> > That may not be ideal, but it may yield a clue.
>
> I use the radeonfb module, so I'm not sure what the VC specs are.  How did
> you get that info?
>

> > Good luck with a new cable.
>
> Thanks.  Wish I had better news.

Matthew,

Maybe you could have the audience shift side-to-side at the same rate as
the distortion ;-)  Seriously, sorry to hear no success.

I got the VT frequencies from the "info" menu item on my monitor.

What resolution are you using for X?

Does removing video=radeonfb from the kernel command line make any
difference?

You could also try the VESA driver in X.

Bob...