mixing and matching vanilla kernel & Fedora

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Fri Sep 9 19:04:59 UTC 2005

Joe Byrne wrote:

> Is there a howto or other guide to mixing a vanilla kernel.org kernel w/
> Fedora?  More importantly, if so, where?
>
> Per my previous message, I'm looking for specific driver support.  It
> happens to be baked into 2.6.13.  If I could mix 2.6.13 w/ my FC3
> installation, I would be all set.

I always use a vanilla kernel with my FC3 system. Currently running
2.6.13 with no problems.

The trick is getting the kernel config file properly constructed.

[1] download the kernel source tarfile and latest patch
[2] untar it in a private directory
     you don't need to make any links or anything
[3] run "make menuconfig" or the config program you like.
[4] run "make"
[5] as root - run "make modules_install"
[6] as root - run "make install"
[7] check /boot/grub/grub.conf (it should contain an entry for the new
kernel)
[8] boot the new kernel
[9] when it doesn't work, boot the Fedora kernel
[A] goto [3]

Good luck!

John