New: apropos2, an improved apropos command

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Sep 10 04:14:21 UTC 2005

At 8:17 AM +0530 9/10/05, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>Tony Nelson wrote:
>
>>Apropos is a command in the man package that shows entries in the whatis
>>database that match a search word.  Often there are many matches, and one
>>might like to winnow them down by typing more words.  Instead, apropos
>>prints all the matches for each word, making the problem worse.  One can
>>pipe the apropos output to grep, but I have something better.
>>
>><http://georgeanelson.com/apropos2.htm>
>>
>Might consider putting this in Fedora Extras

That seems like a good idea -- as soon as I have a bit more user feedback.
Thank you.

>>This list is about all I know.  Where would be other good places to
>>publicize an improved apropos, so that people who would benefit from it
>>(but might not be looking for it) will notice it?
>>

>Freshmeat is one. Consider writing an article about this and posting in
>news sites if you want to go further

I'll look into putting it on Freshmeat.  I don't really know any news sites.

Hopefully I'll have something more to write about in a little while, as
this would make a rather puny article.  And who actually uses apropos,
anyway (besides me -- and no insult to Federico Lucifredi)?