Compaq V4000 Laptop, Fedora 4 Sound & Network Set-Up

John Little jlittle at idcomm.com
Sat Sep 10 12:44:44 UTC 2005

Call it knuckleheaded on my part, but there are two issues with FDC 4 and
the Compaq V4025 Laptop.

Starting with Sound. I had to change the sound settings in GNOME and KDE
through the Mixer to External Amplifier to bring it out of sound mute, but
the Sound Blaster 16 is not recognized under Auto-Detect, nor any of the
Linux specific Sound devices in the list. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Now the Network. Normally the WLAN is started by pressing the
WLAN button, but the feature is disabled in both GNOME and KDE, and I would
like to know if there is a way to invoke and start the WLAN upon start up so
that it is enabled automatically. The network card is a Intel Pro 2000
Wireless, on board device. Otherwise FC4 picked up everything else
(including the modem) just fine.

Thanks,

John