Making users to use port 587 for submission emails

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Sep 10 16:20:25 UTC 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 10:28, Sasa Stupar wrote:

> Normally port 25 is used for server-to-server connection and port
> 587 is for users to submit their messages.
> My ISp doesn't block port 25, but I'd like to have things like
> they should be.

If these are roaming users you'll likely have to implement this in
your policy; e.g. "Any employee who is caught using port 25 must
work on Saturdays!" 8-)

For non-roaming users ( assuming static IP addresses ) you can block
the offending IP addresses at the firewall for port 25.

Typically, once the user's mail client has been configured for a
particular port they, in my limited experience, rarely touch it.
This being the case, another alternative is for you to configure
the user's mail client yourself if that's feasible.

Are you requiring authentication on this port ( 587 )?

Regards, Mike Klinke