Print jobs not printing thru cups

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 12 04:22:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 00:28 +0800, Michael Lai wrote:
> Sorry but what is IPP?

Internet Printing Protocol.  Basically, it's a standard for printing
across a TCP/IP network, which doesn't (shouldn't) matter which
operating systems are involved.  CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) uses
it, and so can Windows.

On my home network I just couldn't get Windows to print to a Linux
served printer using Samba, and none of the error messages (when there
were any) were any help at diagnosing the problem.  However, I could get
Windows to print over IPP, just by putting in the HTTP address to the
printer (as the printer is linked to in the CUPS WWW interface) into the
Windows add printer doodah.

e.g. <http://example.com:631/printers/Kyocera_FS-400>

I read messages from the public lists.