A Few Questions

Randall J. Berry lrxlinux at verizon.net
Mon Sep 12 05:57:05 UTC 2005

    Hello,
I have a few questions that I hope have simple answers. (Simple answers
for a simple man.. :)
One not so pressing issue is how do I disable the fancy GUI while Fedora
loads? I know I can click on the show details but that only works
temoporaily, then it bouces right back to the GUI again.  One of my
biggest peeves about Weirdos and Macintrash is it's blind booting. (I
use both BTW so I have a right to complain!)  I like being able to
clearly see the boot procedure so I can see if there are errors or see
that everything loaded OK. Old faithful RedHat didn't have the fancy
screen. I liked that.

Also; When shutting down I get two errors in the shut down sequence. One
is NFS Locking. When I restart/shutdown It comes up as [FAILED] I've
tunred it off as a service but it would be nice to have. Yet at boot NFS
shows no error.

The second is with VSFTPd It also boots fine and runs fine but on
shutdown/reboot it comes up [FAILED]   Why is that? I don't see any
errors in the logs, and the server is running and accessable from within
the LAN.

My last question is with identd. I've got the server runnung, I've tired
getting local responses and it show's it's working. I've tried remote
queries from within my lan and I get a reply. I've got a hole in the
router for identd yet if I login to a server outside the lan it comes up
no reply.

Has anyone ever heard of any ISP's blocking identd (113)?
I'm on Verizon BTW.  I'm sure they have #80 blocked. I can reach the
server from remote within the LAN but nobody can reach it outside the
LAN even with HTTPd (#80 and #8080) routed to the server through a
static route. I don't need a mass-traffic site but it would be nice to
have a few simple pages to share with friends. I'm a tinkerer and like
having the ease of my stuff being local so I can easily develop sites
and test them among a select group before going live with them.

Thanks;