NTP

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Sep 12 19:57:58 UTC 2005

At 7:37 PM +0100 9/12/05, Paul Howarth wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 13:09 -0500, Michael Yep wrote:
>> How do I find if I'm running ntp?

    $ /sbin/service ntpd status

or Applications menu -> System Settings submenu -> Server Settings submenu
-> Services item (aka system-config-services).

>> I looked for /etc/ntpd.conf  but it doesn't exist

I often use locate (or really, Actions menu -> Search for files) to get a
clue.  "locate ntpd" turns up a few things, including some initscripts and
/etc/sysconfig/ntpd.

>> What is the package name to download?
>
>Surprisingly enough:
>
># yum install ntp

If I think I know the package name I try "yum info ntp".  If I'm not quite
sure but have a guess I try "yum list \*ntp\*".  When I have little clue I
try "yum search ntpd".  If that doesn't work I may try "yum provides ntpd".
(Unfortunately the string "ntp" appears many places so there is /lots/ of
output, and "yum provides network time" works as badly as the stock
apropos, printing all the matches for "network" and all the matches for
"time".)