Slightly OT: Backing Up

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Sep 12 22:46:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Brian D. McGrew wrote:

> Some advice if you will ...
>
> I've got about a dozen Linux servers and a dozen Windows servers with
> about a hundred clients running Unix and Windows.  I've got a Qualstar
> library with two drives and 44 slots.  All total, about 2TB of data!
>
> What would you recommend as the best software to backup a network like
> this?  We've just flat outgrown Vertias Backup Exec and I'm seeking the
> advice of others for where to turn to next!

The two I'd consider as comparable or better in the enterprise space would
be legato (now emc) networker or arkiea. different groups in our
organization use both.

I manage a couple smaller (21 tape 1 drive each 4.2tb) libraries using
nothing but mtx, perl modules, and scripts, but I can't really recommend
goign that route for and evironmnet with lots of contention for library
resources.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu