Antivirus

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Mon Sep 12 23:15:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Peter Gordon wrote:

>> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 17:51 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
>> Personally, I have found that F-Prot is great.  I have messed around
>> with Clamav and it worked for a while but then crapped out.  Not only
>> that, you had to mess around way too much to get it to do a thorough
>> scan.  F-prot has great documentation, updates are frequent, and it just
>> plain works.  Highly recommend it.
>
> Unfortunately, F-Prot is not Free/Open-source. According to what I could
> find on their site, it's only free (as in "no cost") for personal
> workstation use. It's for this reason that I recommend not using it at
> all. However, the final decision is yours to make: if you want to use
> proprietary software, you have the right to do so (presuming, of course,
> that you obtain it legally, etc.).

We had both clamav and fprot on the same server and most of the time
clamav had definitions before fprot. Clamav runs very well under heavy
load and is extremely easy to configure and update. As well there is way
more documentation on configuring clam using other open source servers
than any other virus scanner.

We decided not to renew the fprot subscription. We now also use clamav on
our file servers as well.