question about bash-completion and gzip

hpt hanpingtian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 01:13:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 15:27 -0500, John Mahowald wrote:
> On 9/8/05, hpt <hanpingtian at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think that the bash-completion would allow the gzip to complete a file
> > name which doesn't end with ".gz", for example a file named "gzipfile"
> > while the gzip's options is "-dc".  Because when use "-dc", gzip dosen't
> > care about the file name's suffix.
> >
> I don't get what you mean. bash tab completion fills in commands on
> your path and existing files from what you typed so far. gzip doesn't
> care about extensions, I could compress something and call it
> file.foo, and the file command would still know it's gzip compress and
> gunzip would decompress it.

I want to say that if you has installed bash-completion, and use gzip to
decompress some file as
gzip -dc f<tab>
then if there is a foo.gz and a foo in current directory, the
bash-completion only complete the foo.gz, though you want to decompress
the foo. In this moment, the gzip with "-dc" doesn't care about the
suffix. So the bash-completion should complete the foo either.