[SPAM DETECT] Linux-compatible webcam recommendations invited

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Tue Sep 13 04:05:43 UTC 2005

M Daniel R M wrote:

>>QuickCam Pro 4000 looks good, but i'm leaning towards Logitech
>>QuickCam Communicate STX.
>>It appears to be little more affordable, and carries the same
>>features. In particular, I believe both are mountable on a laptop. The
>>only thing i'm concerned about is that STX does video using avi
>>format.
>>

>I've never heard anything about that model, seems that it can be managed
>by the called qc-usb driver. That model it's mentioned here (note that
>they talk about _experimental_ support):
>
>http://qce-ga.sourceforge.net/
>
>http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/quickcam/quickcam.html
>
>The model I talked you about uses the pwc driver, like most of Philips'
>webcams, and its development comes from afar, before the appearance of
>this model in particular. Here you are a list of well-known models
>supported and non-supported by this driver:
>
>http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/PWC/WorkingWebcamsWithPWC?CGISESSID=fa15c1b6777144acc2cde41a8c931f10&CGISESSID=fa15c1b6777144acc2cde41a8c931f10
>
>The actual development of the pwc driver can be followed from here:
>http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/
>and that's what I do from time to time, going there, obviously.
>
>Maybe you could get better,specific answers here:
>
>An exhaustive list of webcam drivers and models that they cover:
>http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Webcams
>
>>From there you can find more references about webcam models, drivers
>developed, status, etc....for example..
>http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html
>
>---
>So, after this, when purchasing you should approximately know what you
>are doing if you have in mind your Linux.
>

>>I'm not sure if Gnome Meeting, for instance, would be able to handle
>>it. What video format does QuickCam Pro 4000 use?
>>

>I don't understand your question... AFAIK this gadget is a device for
>Linux, it takes its place in /dev/video[0,1], the specific driver pwc
>(or whatever...) if loaded, make it available, and then the apps that
>you choose (gnomemeeting for example...) access to it thanks to the
>video4linux (v2l2) api; what you as an end-user can do with it will
>depends on the quality/stage-of-development of all of them, including
>the chipset of the webcam. But I'm not either a programmer nor even a
>computing man, so sorry but my explanation will be always really poor
>here as you can see.
>For example, supposing you have this model, its driver correctly
>installed and loaded (pwc), and you launch an app, let's say
>videolan-client, into its interface you go to "file">"Open device of
>capture", you set this to /dev/video[0,1] and you just have accessed to
>the device, you can see the stream that the cam is capturing into that
>moment. Nothing else. What you want _to record_ this? OK, that depends
>on you, formats for audio and video, codecs and containers chosen, etc,
>etc... _you_ adjust that at your own convenience. I don't know if I've
> [...]
I just plugged in STX: doesn't appear to be supported, but i'll play a
little.
I looked up QuickCam Pro 4000 as well: is it true that it supports crazy
resolutions like 1280x960?

Daniel, are you able to view QuickCam Pro 4000 stream from within Gnome
Meeting window, or do you have to use an external app, like vlc? Also,
are you able to use the built-in mike on QuickCam Pro 4000?

Thanks.