should I upgrade fc1 -> fc4?

George White aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Sep 13 11:01:19 UTC 2005

Quoting Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>:

> How old is this server? (specs) you might want to stay with a 2.4.x kernel.

About the only time you should stay with a 2.4.x kernel is when you have
orphaned hardware that isn't supported in 2.6.  Most older generic hardware is
supported, but some custom hardware interfaces or older RAID cards may use
drivers that haven't been ported to 2.6.x.

> On 9/12/05, sean <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've got an old server running fc1. Should I upgrade it
> > step-by-step, fc1-fc2-fc3, or just go directly to fc4?

You can't get meaningful advice if you don't give any details about your
requirements.

What are you looking for?  Security updates? Specific applications?
For a stable server, CentOS might be a better choice.

--
George N. White III
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia