Dovecot line feed error for 2 users

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Sep 13 20:50:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:44:55AM -0400, Kevin Old wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm getting the error below for 2 different users on my system of 150+
> users in Dovecot:
>
> Sep 12 09:32:49 uavco pop3-login: Login: cah [::ffff:172.16.3.107]
> Sep 12 09:32:49 uavco pop3(cah): Error indexing mbox file
> /var/mail/cah: LF not found where expected
> Sep 12 09:32:49 uavco pop3(cah): Error indexing mbox file
> /var/mail/cah: LF not found where expected
> Sep 12 09:32:49 uavco pop3(cah): Couldn't open INBOX: Internal error
> occured. Refer to server log for more information. [2005-09-12
> 09:32:49]
>
> I've read in the archives that it's the blank line at the beginning of
> the mbox file (http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2004-January/002790.html),
> and once deleted everything works fine.
>
> The thing is, it keeps happening and I can't figure out why.  Email
> clients that send mail to these accounts are the latest Outlook
> Express.  As I said, I have 150+ users on the same system and they are
> fine.
>
> I'm not sure if protocol makes a difference, but we are using POP3 only.
>
> Any ideas what I can do to fix/prevent/correct this either
> programatically or with a patch of some sort?
>
> Is this actively being worked on?
>
> I'm running FC4 with dovecot-0.99.14-4.fc4.
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> Kevin
> --
My only real question is why this is working for any of your mail
users. For at least a long time mail files for users are placed in
/var/spool/mail/<username>. I can't really see why dovecot is pushing
to expect the mail folders in /var/mail/<username> . I just ignored
that aspect of the dovecot.conf file that had you set up
/var/mail/ as the mail holding directory. Is that where your users
keep their mail. That is certainly where sendmail expects these files
to be. Maybe your 2 users are the only ones keeping mail in the right
place. It certainly seems that  way from your error messages.

Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven't the remotest
knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die.
		-- Oscar Wilde, "The Importance of Being Earnest"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484