Linux-compatible webcam recommendations invited

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Sep 13 20:52:25 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 13.09.2005 schrieb Reshat Sabiq um 22:42:

> Anyway, i'll send them out later tonight: what i said there is that i got
> STX to work.
>
> My main questions now are:
> 1. Does built-in mike work on Pro 4000? Are there any tricks i could try
> to get it to work on STX?

My Philips webcam's microphone is recognized.

> 2. I'm not sure about Alexander's response: does 1280x960 work on Pro
> 4000? What about 640x480? GnomeMeeting has a tooltip about large
> resolution, where it lists it as 352x288. And i have a feeling that that's
> what i was getting w/ STX in GM. But maybe this is a GM limitation. I
> guess i should try vlc or mplayer, and see what resolution they report.
> But i have serious doubts that 1280x960 could be used on a connection like
> 384Kbps. I have 5Mbps at home, but my other primary party isn't likely to
> have high bandwidth. So i probably wouldn't benefit from a max resolution
> above 640x480. In fact i doubt 640x480 would work well at 384Kbps too. It
> would probably have to be scaled down to 400x300, or 300x230, etc.
> 3. The last thing i want to try is how performance and quality compares on
> Windows. But i got STX to work fairly quckly, so i haven't even tried it
> on Windows yet.

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/PWC/FrequentlyAskedQuestionsPWC

"The box says I can take images at 800x600 and even 1280x960, but I
can't seem to set this resolution"

Did you read that part? The matrix show you which resolutions at which
frame rates are possible. For video conferencing like gnome-meeting you
normally won't use more than SIF or CIF.

Alexander

Serendipity 22:46:51 up 22 days, 19:30, load average: 0.18, 0.20, 0.15