display compressed to 2"

Thomas W. Cranston cranston_tom at asapchoice.com
Tue Sep 13 22:42:43 UTC 2005

The last time I booted FC3 up,  the display was verticaly compressed to
about 2-3"

I had previously looked at the video settings while in gui mode using
the system settings display application. I was not logged on as root,
but had to use su password to see the settings.
I made no changes, but got a message that I would have to re boot to
save changes (which I had not knowlingly made)

I can increase the vertical disply using the wheels under the monitor
enough to increase the display to about 4", so that I can read whats on
the display.

I used the Find application, and File Browser to locate the files
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and the original configuration saved as
/etc/X11/xorg.backup

I set view to show hidden files, and got the message that the files
could not be found.

I next re booted and logged on as root, but got the same message.

I then clicked on the computer icon, and then the file icon and found
those files.

I printed them out, and compared them line for line, and found no
differences, indicating that nothing had been changed.

I next booted a live cd, and it displayed its desktop correctly.(not
compressed vertically)

ViewSonic 5E Monitor settings:
    Hsync 31 - 60
    Vrefresh 50 - 90