display compressed to 2"

Thomas W. Cranston cranston_tom at asapchoice.com
Wed Sep 14 00:55:57 UTC 2005

Thomas Taylor wrote:

>On Tuesday 13 September 2005 15:42, Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
>

>>The last time I booted FC3 up,  the display was verticaly compressed to
>>about 2-3"
>>
>>I had previously looked at the video settings while in gui mode using
>>the system settings display application. I was not logged on as root,
>>but had to use su password to see the settings.
>>

>Which gui are you using (kde, gnome, other)?
>
>In kde, under menu > system settings > display, you do have to enter the root
>password, is that what you mean?  Or are you trying to perform "su"?
>

>>I made no changes, but got a message that I would have to re boot to
>>save changes (which I had not knowlingly made)
>>

>In kde, after viewing/changing the display settings, there are only two
>choices, either "cancel" or "OK".  Cancel won't save anything.  OK will make
>changes in the appropriate files but should only need a service restart, not
>a reboot.  Not sure about gnome, don't use it.
>

>>I can increase the vertical disply using the wheels under the monitor
>>enough to increase the display to about 4", so that I can read whats on
>>the display.
>>
>>I used the Find application, and File Browser to locate the files
>>/etc/X11/xorg.conf and the original configuration saved as
>>/etc/X11/xorg.backup
>>
>>I set view to show hidden files, and got the message that the files
>>could not be found.
>>
>>I next re booted and logged on as root, but got the same message.
>>
>>I then clicked on the computer icon, and then the file icon and found
>>those files.
>>
>>I printed them out, and compared them line for line, and found no
>>differences, indicating that nothing had been changed.
>>
>>I next booted a live cd, and it displayed its desktop correctly.(not
>>compressed vertically)
>>

>This shows that the problem is not with the hardware since a different distro
>worked properly.
>

>>ViewSonic 5E Monitor settings:
>>    Hsync 31 - 60
>>    Vrefresh 50 - 90
>>
>>Videocard0
>>    Matrox Millennium G400
>>
>>How do I get FC3 to display normally?
>>

>It won't help you this time, but for the future, it would be a good idea to
>always make a backup of /etc to a CD or second harddrive.  This will allow
>you something to go back to or to verify from.
>
>HTH,
>Tom

I was using the gui listed as "Default" I am given the choices "default"
and gnome after clicking on "Session" before logging in.

The display settings look as they should in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the
original configuration saved as /etc/X11/xorg.backup

I did have to enter the root password.

What do I have to do to correct the problem?