xmms

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 12:23:51 UTC 2005

ravi waghmare wrote:
> thanks for sending a mail to me .....
>
> I wants some information about  ...
> in fedora core3  on 915 intel origenal motherboard how to install xmms patch?
>
> plz tell me as early as possible..

Hi, Ravi.

Looks like no-one's answered your e-mail. There are a number of reasons
for this.

Firstly, you responded to a list digest without changing the subject
line -- despite the fact that you even quoted the advice given in it:
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of fedora-list digest..."

Many people will ignore such e-mails (and this is why it came so far
down my e-mail box).

Secondly, you included the entire digest. This isn't particularly
helpful to us: we already know how to get copies of those e-mails. If
you were responding to one of the e-mails in the digest, please delete
the rest of the digest, so we know what you're talking about.

It looks like you weren't actually responding to any of those e-mails,
so there wasn't any point in quoting them.

Thirdly, it's list etiquette to put (just) the material you're quoting
up top, and respond underneath, like I'm doing. This is "bottom
posting". "Top posting" (putting new material above what you're quoting)
is frowned upon: not least because it leads to people quoting an entire
correspondence, without making it clear what they're responding to.

Fourthly, your request is less than clear. Which xmms patch? What are
you trying to do? Do you have xmms installed? Will it play wav files and
ogg files? You can download some examples from
http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/listen.html . Can you hear these files?

Are you trying to get MP3 playing working? If so, see
http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc3/#xmms-mp3

(I won't scold you for mentioning your motherboard: it's irrelevant, but
you evidently aren't sure what is relevant, and we'd rather ignore some
irrelevant data than have to ask for relevant data).

You may want to read
http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html : it won't answer
your question, but it will help you to ask questions in a way that gets
answered.

Incidentally, this is e-mail. No-one's going to complain if you use the
few bytes to spell "please" properly. Eric Raymond is perhaps a *bit*
harsh at http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html#writewell
but his advice is good.

I hope this helps you find an answer to your question. Welcome to the
list.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | And the cuckoo isn't cooing,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | But he's cucking and he's ooing,