URGENT: Lost Data

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Sep 14 14:24:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:37:37PM -0700, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> During an open vi session on a source file, the bossman lost a months
> worth of work during a power failure.  When power was restored he copied
> a .swp file back thinking it was an older version of the source.
>
> I feel really dumb asking this; but is there any think I can attempt for
> data recovery on a FC3/ext3 machine to try and recover this file???
>
> -brian

vi has an option for these situations. If your were editing a file foo
then your would execute: vi -r foo
but that will only load the .swp file which should be the file as it
was at the time of the power failure.
This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms
industry is now in the American experience... We must not fail to
comprehend its grave implications... We must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence...by the military-industrial
complex.  The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power
exists and will persist.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, from his farewell address in 1961
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484