NFSD: setclientid: string in use by client

Wed Sep 14 22:31:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, John Patrick Poet wrote:

> I have been happily using Fedora Core for a long time.
>
> Recently I tried setting up a NFSv4 server, with two clients.  This works
> very well as long as I only try to access the server with one client.
>
> When I tried to have the second client mount the NFS, it just hangs.  On the
> server side, I get messages like this:
>
> Sep 13 23:21:16   kernel: NFSD: setclientid: string in use by
> client(clientid 43265499/00000001)
>
> Can someone please explain this to me?  I have tried searching the web for a
> solution, but could not find anyone else complaining about this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
> --

Solved the problem.  In the clients hosts file, I had not put an entry in
for the localhost's unique name.  Therefore on both client machines, it was
using 127.0.0.1.  It is obviously using that localhost's IP address to
generate that clientid.

John