"panic: unable to mount root" => need sleep after loading SATA driver in initrd! Should udevstart wait?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Sep 14 23:01:01 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:54:39PM -0500, Stuart Levy wrote:
>  > On several of our SATA+Opteron-based systems we've been unable to
>  > run more recent Fedora Core 3 packaged kernels -- 2.6.10, 2.6.11.
>
> Make sure you have the latest mkinitrd errata installed.
> (The 2.6.12 errata kernel actually has it as a dependancy).

I'm sure I can't be the only Fedora user
who finds this reference to "mkinitrd errata" difficult to follow.
It has been explained to me, but I still find the language bizarre.

I assume most people will install Fedora distribution kernels from rpm's.
If that is so, surely it would be easier - and more informative -
to say which rpm you are referring to?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366