[SPAM DETECT] Linux-compatible webcam recommendations invited

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Tue Sep 13 05:40:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 00:35 -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 23:05 -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> > >
> > I just plugged in STX: doesn't appear to be supported, but i'll play a
> > little.
> > I looked up QuickCam Pro 4000 as well: is it true that it supports
> > crazy resolutions like 1280x960?
> >
> > Daniel, are you able to view QuickCam Pro 4000 stream from within
> > Gnome Meeting window, or do you have to use an external app, like vlc?
> > Also, are you able to use the built-in mike on QuickCam Pro 4000?
> >
> > Thanks.
> Dudes and dudettes,
>
> The driver for STX can be found at:
> http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html
>
> I'm writing this seeing myself in GnomeMeeting, and i haven't even tried
> using this thing on Windows. ;)
>
> Looks pretty good. The only questions i have are:
> 1. GnomeMeeting has a tooltip where large resolution is indicated at
> 352x288. I'm not totally sure that this webcam max resolution of 640x480
> is being utilized. I guess i'll try another app.
> 2. Is built-in webcam mike supported for any webcam models? GnomeMeeting
> audio settings are disabled, but maybe they would get enabled if i had a
> remote video.
>
> P.S. I'll need to try it on Windows tomorrow, and see how quality and
> performance compare.
>
> I love it that you can have this thing on the laptop, and it doesn't
> even need A/C power. :)
I'd appreciate if somebody could do a remote videoconference call with
me. If interested, please shoot me a private email.
I'd like to know how much bandwidth STX's max resolution consumes. It
apepars Pro 4000 supports much higher resolution, but i doubt 1280x920
would be feasible for 128Kbps or 384Kbps connection for instance. And my
primary other party might not have very high bandwidth.

Thanks.