cannot connect to the Internet on fc4 - confirm

Jared Hall jrhall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 11:39:20 UTC 2005

HTH

Thanks for responding so fast!

> I guess 192.168.0.1 is your router ip? If it is, then it's ok to use it as a
> nameserver, as long as your router got a dns (usually the isp's) in it. If
> not, then you can just put your ISP dns in /etc/resolv.conf

I went into /etc/resolv.conf and took out the strangeness there.  I
agree with you that there should be anything related to the WAN mixed
into resolv.conf for my configuration.

> And then in my proxy box:
> eth0: 192.10.10.2
> subnet: 255.255.255.0
> gateway: 192.10.10.1

On Debian this information is held in a file named
"/etc/network/interface." What I'm looking for now is the file name
which contains the information you told me about. What's really
bothering me is that there seems to be no file named
"/etc/network/interface"  and I find that extremely disturbing for
many reasons:

1)  This file should exist
2)  I'm not 100% certian if Fedora and Debian use the same name for it
3)  Even if Fedora does use a different name I still should have found the file
4)  Why would such a file evaporate?
5)  What else am I doing wrong or not thinking about?

Thanks
Jared