Upgrading to Fedora core 4

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Sep 15 15:24:36 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>Ramakrishna Raju wrote:
>

>>   I am trying to upgrade to Fedora Core 4 and when it
>>is reading CD Disc # 2, I get this error message
>>saying that it can't find "xorg-x11-6.8.2-31" bcause
>>its missing or the package is corrupt. I downloaded
>>and burnt disc# 2 many times and I still get this
>>error. My pre-upgrade linux box is hosed. I do see
>>this file on the CD thru Windows explorer.
>>
>>  Is this a known problem with upgrades in FC 4 ? Any
>>work arounds ?
>>

>I don't know anything about your problem,
>but you could try installing in text mode
>(giving "linux text" as your answer to the prompt at the start).

   I doubt this will help as Anaconda is still being told you want a
full install (including X).  While
I haven't heard of this specific error before, I had something similar
and needed to re-burn a disk
at a very low speed (probably a combination of bad media and old
burner).  You could test your
CD further by "exploring" to the file and dragging it to your desktop.
When I had this problem,
the "copied" file had a size of 0 Bytes, though the CD reported a
full-size file.  In any event, I'd
have to advise the slow-speed re-burn unless you have a linux distro on
the machine and a spare
couple of GBs on an unused partition.  In that case it is much easier to
use linux askmethod to install
from the local partition bypassing the burning of CDs

Good luck!

Scott